Sunday, June 29, 2008

Gypsy Curses

Since I last posted, I attended the funeral of my uncle, who stopped eating when put on a pureed diet because of his esophogeal problems and went quietly in his sleep. This is perhaps the only moral way to let yourself die and I thank God my aunt did not insert a feeding tube. This posting is not about that, however, but is about what I learned about my family tree.

It turns out that my father's paternal grandfather was one of the Romany people. Even though he was born in Luxembourg, ethnically he was Sinti. A family portrait of my grandfather and his siblings clearly shows their ethnicity.

This makes a lot of sense. For one thing, it explains my congenital anemia, which is a type that occurs sporadically and is found in the Romany people (which is the politically correct term unless you are also a Gypsy). I also explains my inability to drink safely as well as natural abilities in music and breaking and entering, as well as extraordinary perceptions of both time and human emotions. In certain situations, I can even tell what people are thinking - although this may be an astrologically based talent. It may take both genetic and astrological factors to bring out such talents, as well as the previously mentioned curses (like those involving alcohol).

This got me to thinking about the title of this post, curses. Curses are a lot like blessings. They are a sign of an underlying reality. For example, when a Priest blesses children who are not receiving Communion when their parents come up to receive he is not actually bestowing any special favors. Rather, he is showing that they are blessed by God. When the Priest gives his blessing after Mass, he is not blessing the assembly but rather showing that God has blessed it. This is the difference between miracles and magic.

Curses are the same way. When one is cursed by one of my people, it is usually because their conduct will lead them to bad fortune. The speaking of the curse does not create the bad forture, rather it is speaking what the Gypsy senses will happen - and would happen whether the curse is uttered or not.

For example, in the early 2000's, I had a client who had issues with anger - having mostly to do with his carbohydrate addiction (which also made him obese) and the rage his carbo withdrawls threw him into. I never cursed him when he fired me, although I knew he was in trouble - as a later heart attack showed. Luckily he survived and hopefully he is doing better. Likewise, a certain client who stopped my hiring into the government, who shall remain nameless, is likely cursed, not because I curse him, but because of how he handles his staff. Some folks don't like to hear bad news. This will get him into trouble, as the word is out not to bring him any. You don't have to be a management expert to know that this can only lead to trouble for him and for his management.

Being cursed verbally is actually a good thing - it means you have a chance to change. In the latter case, I am not sure I would waste my breath. (How's that for a bad ass curse).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home